Thursday, May 1, 2008

Missing Presumed Dead

Missing Presumed Dead - "I Never Win" from Revenge LP, 1981

This is one of the bands I'm really into right now called Missing Presumed Dead. I think it's safe to say they were from the UK but other than that I don't know a lot about them. They had two albums, one from '80 and one from '81. They're really amateur, shoestring budget, you know real "DIY" even in production. But they're creative as hell. Can't call them goth. Can't call them punk. Not pop, either. They're just messing around, with wonderful results. This is my favourite song by them that I've heard so far called "I Never Win". Knocked me out first time I heard it. Also does anyone else really really love it when these post-punk bands will kindof weave the gloomy spare music along with no synthesizers and then all of a sudden about 60-70% through the song, they bring in some kind of horn??? OH MY GOD I love it when that happens! It's so unexpected! And it's like "wow"! So much better than some synthesizer solo could have been you know? There was a band on that Greek compilation I mentioned a few posts back called Yell-O-Yell who kept doing that in their songs, and it kept (pleasantly) surprising me! And yes I am a fan of A Certain Ratio and all that, but that's not why it drives me crazy when bands do that. I can't explain it, it just does.

And I see now that Mutant Sounds has already posted Missing Presumed Dead's albums on his blog. Sigh. Well, too bad. You know sometimes I just happen to hear good music and it happens to be on other blogs than mine already! :)

Anyway, I've got a 7" by another band in mind to post soon that should appeal to folks who appreciate the poppier side of post punk rather than the arty/goth side. I'll have it up before the end of the weekend.

No comments: