Saturday, August 2, 2008

Rick James - Cold Blooded ('83) & The Flag ('86)



I know these are small photos. Sigh.

I know there are a lot of people who see this blog who will never understand what I see in Rick James. But these are the two best, most consistent albums I've found of him so far. Cold Blooded is from 1983 and The Flag is from 1986 and it's the latter of these I've most recently found. I love the way on that album he's like "yeah Prince has hit it really big with Purple Rain and sure, Janet Jackson has just become a superstar but here's my answer to all of that" and he just beats the crap out of both of them.



Cold Blooded includes his duet with Smokey Robinson "Ebony Eyes" which is actually quite good, believe it or not. Interesting thing about that album is even the ballads appeal to me, which is rare.

This song seems boring at first but just let it get underneath your skin:


So yes, most people won't understand, but I gotta say, I love Rick James. I really think he is the shit. Not perfect, but still...is there a fan club? I wanna join.

No comments: