Sunday, February 8, 2009

The Servants - The Sun A Small Star EP, 1986




The Servants - The Sun A Small Star EP, 1986

That's right, we're going back to 1986 UK indie pop again. Good old fashioned stuff, here. I would imagine folks who like Sarah records would probably dig this. I posted a 7" by this band earlier, but to recap, they appeared on the NME C86 cassette and to me they really stood out. Later, the singer David Westlake (pictured on the far right of the sleeve) released his own record on Creation that I might post later. Also, Luke Haines of the Auteurs eventually joined this band. The bassist here, Phil King, went on to play with Lush. Well it's really the guitarist of this band, though, that makes them so special, I think. The sleeve says he was called John Mohan. "It Takes No Gentlemen" is the best track here, and it totally makes me feel like I'm 15 again. It occured to me while playing this that if some new band were to make music like this now, I wouldn't go near it. This was just the fashion at the time, and the way things sounded. I'd be surprised if there was a single other record released on this label, either. This was about as indie as it gets. I'm delighted to learn that Cherry Red have released a CD of this stuff, now, called "Reserved". Hell, I'm gonna buy that sucker.

No comments: