Wednesday, January 28, 2009

There's been a lull, I know....

I do have a couple of things planned for this blog soon...a rather strange and obscure record by Grace Cale's Dubset (working on getting a scan of the sleeve) from 1983, a compilation of Birmingham post-punk bands circa 1981, and I haven't forgotten the request I received to repost the McCarthy "Red Sleeping Beauty" 12 inch.

In the meantime, I've been doing some research on this lady who sang on the "Southern Freeez" song I posted recently because it appears she didn't sing any other songs with that group and it really left me wanting more. There's something delightfully casual and effortless in her delivery that really appeals to me. Well, her name is Ingrid Mansfield-Allman and apparently she played a gig in the UK with some other folks as recently as last July. She did some work with Chaz Jankel & Ian Dury back in the early 80's, and they wrote a song called "Stop Wasting Your Time" that she released as a single in 1981. Here is a link where you can hear the song, it's very good, and surprisingly her vocals remind me of Kirsty MacColl (another rather effortless, casual singer, it seems to me)!

No comments: