Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Kurtis Blow - The Breaks (1980)

On my way back from L.A., going through airport security, a certain tall, stocky black guy who worked for Homeland Security was rapping out loud for people, and being rather entertaining. I wasn't sure what he was rapping but it sounded like he was doing something cool. Then he threw the words "Sugarhill Gang" into his rap and I just smiled from ear to ear thinking "wow this guy knows Sugarhill Gang is rapping some kind of old Sugarhill Gang stuff!". I wish I'd had the courage to say something at that point to him, but I guess I was too shy and instead, I just stood and smiled, listening to him, waiting for my luggage to come through the metal detector. Well I remembered enough of the lyrics of what he was rapping later to look it up, and apparently it was this song by Kurtis Blow. I don't think I've ever heard this before, but I think it's pretty great:

No comments: